Thursday, December 27, 2012

Short trip to Singapore

Had some time over the weekends, so my family and I went over to Singapore for a short visit. We flew straight from LCCT to Changi airport as the air tickets weren't too expensive.

The last time I visited Singapore was actually just over 3-4 weeks ago, having to attend my brother's ROM over there. Never expected to go back so quickly until my mother suggested that we fly over for the weekend to spend more time in Singapore.

We stayed over at my brother's place for a few nights. It was quite a relief as the accommodation in Singapore can be pretty expensive.

Didn't do much for the first day after touching down at Changi airport, just did some walking around and having dinner. The area around my brother's Condo where we are staying the night at, is pretty nice. There are nearby public transportations (MRT,bus,taxi stands), places to buy groceries and a lot of eateries.

For the 2nd day, we went over to Universal Studios in Sentosa Island. Spent the entire day there going for rides after rides. At one point, I was quite shaken after taking the Cyclone roller coaster. The twists and drops were unbelievably scary. Not to mention that I wasn't wearing my spectacles, so I couldn't really see (I have bad eye sight lol).

And thank God, I didn't bring my camera equipment, if not, I would be dead tired by the end of the day. In this sort of situations, it would be great to have a small, portable camera with you. Something like a mirrorless camera from Sony, example is the NEX F3 which goes for about RM2.3k only for a set with twin lenses! And it has a APS-C sensor!

Photo credits to google lolz

Or an even more compact camera like the Sony RX100 which has a 1 inch sensor, though much smaller than the NEX F3. Comes with a bright 28mm f/2 lens and its size is only slightly larger than a Canon Powershot S110! Brilliant!

 Photo credits to google lolz

A little bit tempted to get such small form factor cameras to be honest for the convenience of course.


Anyway, on the 3rd day, in the evening, we went to visit 2 of Singapore's famous tourist spots: Gardens by the Bay and Marina Bay Sands.

Having seen many beautiful pictures of Gardens by the Bay and Marina Bay Sands, I knew I had to capture those places.



Captured this shot using 2 exposures, EV=0 and EV= -1 on Aperture Priority mode. Why 2 exposures? It is because the dynamic range of my camera is not enough to capture the huge dynamic range of the scene, so I had to resort to using exposure blending. Processed the 2 pictures using Phottomatix Pro and didn't fiddle too much with the settings in order to make the shot a lot more natural looking.

Captured using a Canon 60D and a Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, mounted on a cheapo Beike Pro tripod.

And after that, we walked back to Marina Bay Sands to get some shots over there.



This is a tricky situation. As this is a pretty popular spot for tourists and locals alike, it might be difficult to get a shot for this scene without having people getting into your frame. However, I was very lucky with this particular shot haha.

Shot with this composition to include the walkway on the left as a foreground interest and also a leading line. Desaturated the yellows by just a bit as it was too strong. Post processed to increase brightness, saturation/vibrancy, pull back some highlights and other minor editing.

Shot with the same set of gears at f/10, 30 sec exposure and at ISO100

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View my flickr photo collection here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kytz/
View my 500px photo collection (mostly landscapes only): http://500px.com/kytz

2 comments:

  1. I actually enjoyed reading through this posting.Many thanks...


    Calibration Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!



    Calibration Singapore

    ReplyDelete